Once again RU Facilities, with support from PSE&G,
has organized a Campus Energy Challenge for the month of March. All five NB campuses - Cook, Douglass, College
Ave, Busch, and Livingston - will compete to see which can lower its electricity
usage the most from last year. The
winning campus will have bragging rights for a year plus other prizes; the
winner will be announced on Earth Day.
- Use your desktop lamp rather than ceiling lighting
- Use compact fluorescent lamps to save energy and cut pollution.
- For three copies or less, use the printer; for more, use the copier.
- Laser printers use 300 watts; inkjets use only 10, for similar quality.
- Using the "stand-by" button on your copier will lighten your energy load by 70%.
- A computer monitor uses 60 watts of power; turn it off if you leave for more than 10 minutes.
- Recycling paper reduces water use by 60%, energy by 70%, and cuts pollution in half.
The facilities web site (http://facilities.rutgers.edu/Energy/Environment.html)
has a list of helpful hints .
Let's all build some habits that help RU conserve energy